The NEXT software uses a custom Windows service to handle all serial and network communications. This service is always running with windows. In the event the software is not communicating as expected or the windows service is not running simply restarting your computer will re-start the service. The service can be re-started/started using the Windows Services desktop application or by using a Service Action tool provided by Humboldt.
The Service Action tool can be found in the Windows Start menu or can be opened through the Humboldt Message Console. The Service Action tool requires administrative privileges/elevation to operate correctly.
If the Service Action tool shows ERROR in the service status and the Start/Stop options are disable or the Humboldt Next Service is not listed in Windows Services desktop application please see Installing NEXT Windows Service for installation instructions.
The procedure below will describe how the Stop and then Start the Next Windows service.
- Right-click on the Humboldt Message Icon in the system tray () and select View Console (double-clicking on the icon has the same effect).
- Select the Help tab.
- Click Manage Service; if required you will be prompted to enter administrative privileges.
- Click Stop the HMTS Next Windows Service to stop the windows service. It may take some time for the service to stop. Please wait for service to stop completely. You will know the service is stopped when the Humboldt Message Console icon in the status bar is grey () or the Status tab in the Humboldt Message Console will indicate disconnected.
- Click Start the HMTS Next Windows Service to start the service. Similar indicators in the Humboldt Message Console will indicate the service is started an running.
- Click OK to close the Service Action tool.