The NEXT software uses a custom Windows service to handle all serial and network communications. This service is always running with windows. If this service is not installed or not running the software will not communicate with any equipment. If the service is available but not operating please see the Windows Service Instructions.
The Service Action tool can be used to check the status of the Humboldt service and can be found in the Windows Start menu or can be opened through the Humboldt Message Console. The Service Action tool requires administrative privileges/elevation to operate correctly.
If the Service Action tool shows ERROR in the service status and the Start/Stop options are disable or the Humboldt Next Service is not listed in Windows Services desktop application please see Installing NEXT Windows Service for installation instructions.
The Humboldt NEXT Windows service is listed within the Windows services with this name "HMTS Message Server".
Checking Status of the NEXT service with the Service Action Tool
- Right-click on the Humboldt Message Icon in the system tray () and select View Console (double-clicking on the icon has the same effect).
- Select the Help tab.
- Click Manage Service; if required you will be prompted to enter administrative privileges.
- The service tool will open and indicate ERROR if the service is NOT installed, the Start option will be selected if the service is started, and the Stop option will be selected if the service is installed but not running. Please see the Windows Service article for instructions for starting the NEXT service if it is installed but stopped.
- Close the service tool.
If the NEXT service is not running the software can be uninstalled and the installed again. This will re-install the service or the service can be installed using a tool in the NEXT installation folder. Please note that administrative rights are required to do this.
Installing the NEXT service
- Open a Command Prompt with administrative rights.
- Navigate to the NEXT installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\HMTS Next\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\HMTS Next\).
- Once in the NEXT installation folder enter the MessageServer folder.
- In the MessageServer folder type "hmtswinserviceinstaller -i" (without the quotes).
- Press the Enter key.
- If the service is installed correctly you will see the phrase "Installed : True" in the results.