This article applies to the HM-5760A machine as this machine automatically applies pressure based on sample dimensions and the control units chosen by user.
The direct shear machine can use a circular or square sample and if the control units are KSF or KPA the target pressure will be calculated incorrectly if attention is not paid to the sample dimensions.
If running from a PC this scenario will be automatically handled, this situation only applies for any user running Consolidation tests directly from the face of the machine.
Firmware version 2.0.67 and up addresses an issue where a square sample was not handled correctly by machine. This firmware update is required if using a square sample, control units in KSF or KPA, and/or using the NEXT PC software.
- The system will default to a circular sample if both diameter and width values are present.
- Circular Sample
- Diameter value should be greater than 0.
- Square Sample
- Diameter value should be 0.
- Width value should be greater than 0.
- When running from the PC and the Area message (CMD_SET_AREA) is sent during the test setup the firmware has been modified to set diameter or width to zero automatically depending on the test setup.